Ponda also known as Fonda, is a city in North Goa.The city of Ponda is located 29 kms from Capital city of Panaji and is located in the central area of Goa. Before the Portuguese it was ruled by the Sonde Rajas under the Vijayanagara Empire and the Bijapur Sultanate.The Portuguese eventually took over the area in 1791 from the Raja of Sonda along with other areas.Ponda lies along the National Highway 4A, which connects Panaji to Belgaum in the neighboring state of Karnataka.The city is well connected by roads, nearest railway station and Airport.
Most of the major Hindu temples in Goa are found in Ponda, such as the ,lord Mangueshi Temple, Ramnathi, Mahalaxmi,lord Nageshi and Navadurga temple, Shanta Durga temple in and around Ponda. Standing is one of sixteenth century Islamic monuments in Goa that survived the Portuguese inquisition is the mosque built in 1560 by the Bijapuri ruler Adil Shah Known as the Safa Masjid.
Ponda is also the industrial center of the state. There are many large factories and industrial estates making it one of Goa's fastest-growing city.There are also lot of educational institutes like National Institute of Technology Goa(NIT GOA), Goa Engineering College (GEC) etc.
Places of interest like bondla zoo, the Mahavir Wildlife Sanctuary, spice plantations, temples attracts nature enthusiasts and tourist from all over india.