7 Simple Home Maintenance Tips That will Save You Money
“There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.”
– Jane Austen
Buying your dream home is the first step towards happiness. The next step is to preserve that happiness and comfort. You do that by taking care of your home. And that’s not just the Mom’s job, everyone should do their part. Keep your things in place, make your own bed, arrange things in your room, wash your own dishes.
These small habits will make you disciplined in all walks of life, and thereby making you a better person. After all, it was Aristotle who said:
“Good habits formed at youth make all the difference.”
Home maintenance is a topic we often tend to neglect, but when done properly, it will save you a lot of trouble and will help prevent costly and avoidable repairs.
Following are seven simple but effective home maintenance tips you should know. They are easy to do and won’t take much of your time.
1. Vacuum or sweep the floors daily. This removes the dirt and other things from the floor which can accumulate and form stains. Also, if you spill something on the floor, like coffee, drink, chemicals, etc., clean it right away. The longer you ignore it, the more time it has to stain.
2. Regularly clean the areas on the walls around the stove, sink and showers. Areas prone to steam or water splashes. With time, if left unattended, they damage the paint and leave ugly patches.
3. Tap leaks are mostly caused by worn out washers. You can easily fix the problem by replacing the washers. Just dismantle it with a spanner and replace the old washer with a new one.
4. Don’t pour oils or fats down your drain. Accumulating fats can cause clog in the pipes. In case you accidentally do, pour hot water and dish washing liquid into it.
5. If you get marks or spots on the wall, just buy the same shade of paint and paint the region you want to cover. It’ll look normal when it dries up. Also, it’s recommended to save some paint for future reference so that you don’t have trouble finding it.
6. You can prevent metal tools from rusting with a simple trick. Keep a handful of blackboard chalks in the toolbox. Chalk absorbs moisture and protects metal from rust.
7. A tennis ball can be useful in home maintenance in two ways:
1. You can use it to remove scuff marks from the floor (Eraser works too).
2. If you have a swimming pool, throw in a new tennis ball inside. It’ll soak up all the oil residue that is left behind by people.